Sunday, October 14, 2012

Why I will vote for Obama on November 6th . . .

Locally, I've been very vocal with my criticism of President Obama and his almost identical educational policies to his predecessor President Bush. It has been said by many of those us who support public education that this Administration's "Race to the Top" is really NCLB on steroids. There is more concern growing as more states & local school district's embrace Common Core, which seems to call for more testing.

However, even though I am a teacher and a strong believer in public education with two of my children successfully graduating and a third on his way to do so, I am a parent first.

If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, then you know of the struggle that my oldest has had in regards to her mental health. She has been doing pretty good and I think that she seemed to be pretty convinced that the break-down experienced when she was 19 was a fluke and that, she probably wasn't really Bi-Polar.

That is until this last week. Thankfully she is back home, so she was able to get help right away and is already back on medications which will hopefully stabilize what she is experiencing. Also, it wasn't the depressive aspect that got her this time around but a seemingly inability to sleep for the past week or so that made her realize that maybe what she was experiencing wasn't just insomnia. Her "manic" phases aren't full-blown mania. Her manic phases are bouts of insomnia, mixed in with severe anxiety.

What does this have to do with President Obama? Well, she is still on my insurance, which means she has a full compliment of services through our health provider. She turns 24 in December, so she'll stay on it for another two years when (not IF) Obama is reelected.

In the meantime, she can focus on getting better. I am proud of her because she is in a better place mentally and was able to recognize that she was in a not so good place & needed to get help. (Just so people know, the bi-polar diagnosis didn't go away and she's been struggling. However, because she is an adult, there wasn't much I could do to force treatment on her unless she was hurting herself.)

When you have an adult child who has a mental illness, health insurance becomes even more important. Despite Romney's claims to the contrary, a good health care system does not consist of people going to the emergency room in order to receive quality care. I'm not sure what we are going to do in two years, but in the meantime, I will be exploring her options so that when the day comes that she can no longer be on our insurance, she doesn't have to worry and I won't have to either.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

I'll vote for Obama for MANY reasons(health care is one of them)-- not because I agree with his actions 100% but because compared to his opponents, he is wonderful.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Yes, there are many reasons to vote for Obama.

There is a lot of cutting edge research that says that bi-polar is actually a continuum, not just an either you have it or don't situation.

Good luck with her treatment.