Sunday, January 31, 2010

The morning month after . . .

This is a major ouch for me. I believe that in most districts in this fine state get paid once a month. This makes for budgeting a lot of fun, especially when there are kids, pets and well, just life, involved. The last day of the month is when we receive our paycheck. This means that sometimes in November (as was the case this year), we get paid the day before Thanksgiving. Our December paycheck typically arrives before Christmas break, then we have six to seven weeks of no paycheck at all.

Most teachers I know budget everything to go out at the first day of the month, myself included. My December paycheck, I pay all my bills before I finish up my Christmas shopping, but it leaves little room for any surprises.

Well, this past month there have been plenty of surprises. For instance, Guitar Teen had his tires slashed and received a speeding ticket. Someone Artist Girl in this household hasn't been happy with the fact that for the most part, the heat is OFF during the day. They have chosen to turn the heat on, resulting in a bill of almost $800.00. Yeah, you read that number correctly.

Ya know, I'm responsible when it comes to paying bills first and playing later. This month, there isn't any playing allowed because I'm broke. Thank goodness February is a short month!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Holy ouch! $800? A bill of $150 can almost bring me to tears. Luckily my husband (mostly) understands my policy of "if you're wearing a sweatshirt AND your coat and you're still cold, then you can turn the heat up. By one degree"

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Oh my. It sounds like you should have yourself a slave for a while.

We don't do heat at all--it's possible in San Diego, but just barely. We all wear sweatshirts and spend our evenings wrapped in blankets.

Mrs. Sederwall said...

Bless your heart. I feel your pain. Bills first always means little play for me. Hope March turns out better for you! (But, it is a long month!) Hang in there!

loonyhiker said...

Those days are fresh in my mind. Every November I would stock up on canned veggies that were on sale. In January we eat lots of macaroni and cheese, canned veggies, lots of rice and potatoes. I couldn't wait for February to come!

Theresa Milstein said...

Wow, that's tough. For a couple of years, that was how my husband got paid too, so things were always tight.