Saturday, August 11, 2007

8 Things Meme

I have been tagged by Repairman to do this 8 Things Meme.
1. I love playing the Sims 2 and I have all of the expansion packs.

2. My husband and I rarely fight. We do have disagreements, but I can never recall having a fight with him where yelling and/or screaming was part of it. Typically, if I get upset with him I usually leave the room and then come back later when I'm ready to talk.

3. I'm getting a new tattoo next Saturday. I'm very excited - this will be my sixth.

4. When I was 22, I became a new homeowner with my husband. We lived in that home for eleven years and its the home where we brought home our three babies. We have been in our second (and current home) for almost 8 years.

5. I hate moving. That is in large part because I was a Navy brat and did enough moving around when I was younger to last a life time. I think that's also part of the reason why I have resented my most current move out of my classroom.

6. I am currently serving on my union's bargaining team as our contract expires at the end of the upcoming school year. I felt that this was a very good way for me to learn everything there is to know about our contract.

7. I have had two incidences in which an African American parent has requested that their child be removed off of my team and placed with another team in which there was an African American teacher. Both incidences were hurtful.

8. I only have ten more pounds to lose. I'm going the slow and steady route, incorporating a lot of cardio and weight training. It always amuses me to see the reactions of the guys at my gym when they see me lifting free weights. Too many seem to think that women should only use the weight machines. My preference is and always has been to use free weights.

If you want to play, let me know in the comments so that I can read your meme.

9 comments:

Repairman said...

Hey, it works. I am getting to know you better! :-)

Bellezza said...

Okay, I'm still not sure how losing the last ten pounds works. Let me know your secret. :) What will your tattoo be? Where is it, if you dare tell?

ms-teacher said...

my tattoo is going to of a Hindu Goddess, Sarasvati, Goddess of Education. It is a graduation gift to me from my husband. The placement of the tattoo will be on the front of my left thigh.

Frumteacher said...

Living so healthy must be a wonderful feeling. Is there a certain program you follow? And about the tattoo- wow, I guess that's not for me, but the students will find it exciting. Do they know you have tattoo's?

ms-teacher said...

The main thing I'm doing for weight loss is eating low carb foods, as well as foods that are high in fiber. however, if I'm hungry for something that is "unhealthy" I'm eating it. I have managed to cut out white bread, sodas, and white rice. Then added to that is more exercise.

saintseester said...

Congrats on the weight loss and successful eating changes. I need to cut out sodas and bread, too.

Repairman said...

ms-teacher, please email me at: bulltrout (at) verizon (dot) net re the wiki. ;-) Thanks!

Miss A said...

#7 Can you explain about the two kids being removed from your team. Was there a particular reason outside of the black thing? How many African American students do you typically teach? I am so curious about this.

ms-teacher said...

miss a, my classrooms typically are predominately African American and Hispanic with usually a handful of Asian students, and at the most one or two white students.

In both instances, the mothers requested that their daughters be placed on the other team because that team had an African American teacher. The ironic part to me and my two other team teachers was at the time, one of the teachers on the team was probably one of the worst teachers I've had ever encountered.

The mothers said they didn't have a problem with us, rather they wanted their daughters to be taught by an African American teacher. In both instances, the girls were upset leaving my team, so it wasn't because of anything my team had done or not done.

I can understand a parents viewpoint, but it still doesn't make it any less hurtful.